Under the Fig Tree and Dreaming


Last week my friend Amy, Yan and I pulled the last figs from the tree in Amy's backyard here in Queens (yes, some City dwellers have backyards).  My take of the figs sat in the refrigerator for a few days before I decided what I wanted to do with them.  Four delicious words: Olive Oil Fig Cake.

OMG it is so delicious.


Here is the recipe I came up with:


1 pound of fresh figs, stewed*
3 eggs
1 cup of olive oil
1 cup of buttermilk
1 ½ cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla

1.       Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 10 inch springform cake pan (or relative equivalent) with butter and dust with flour.  Set aside.
2.       Beat eggs and sugar together in a large bowl.  Add oil.
3.       In a separate bowl sift together all dry ingredients then slowly blend into the wet ingredients until smooth.
4.       Combine buttermilk, vanilla, and baking soda in a small bowl and mix well. Incorporate into other mixture combining well. 
5.       Fill the greased pan and give it a few knocks to release the air bubbles.  Bake for 60 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.  It should be golden brown and look a bit flat. Cool cake completely before you release the springform (run a knife around the edge to release anything sticking to the sides).

*Stewing the figs is easy: combine all figs with ½ to 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until figs are completely decimated.  Mash or beat figs to smooth consistency.  If you want even smoother you can puree them in the blender.  Peeling them beforehand will make it even more smooth but I like the pulpy bits (and once it is baked you really can’t tell anyway).

Notes: The cake tastes great!  Being the first time I tested this recipe I might reduce the eggs by 1 and oil by ¼ cup.  I have to read a bit more about baking with olive oil.


If you run into some fresh figs I definitely recommend making this recipe.

1 comment:

Yan said...

that fig cake was quite delicious and should be remade on many occasions henceforth!