An Insensitive Son

My mother says I am too insensitive and this is the reason I don't have a boyfriend. Thanks, Mom. This comes after I related this story to her:

So, Tuesday night was a night out with some coworkers for a drag show. It was a friend of friends performing. Good show. 2 Queens performed. The friend of friends was great. The other was busted! So, after the show, we were waiting for our party to be ready to shimmy to the next venue when tall, alibi-less (and by alibi-less, I mean ugly) Engineer started talking to Timjamin and I. Fine, ok. So, the story goes, we invite him to the next place we go. TAE (Tall, alibi-less Engineer) seems like a nice guy. We are all chatting, etc, etc. The night is good.

Timjamin, TAE, and I hop in one of the cabs and head to the E.Vil. So, then TAE takes out his cell phone and is basically attached to it the entire trip downtown. Calling, talking, messages, texting - all of the possible cell uses. So, I start to think this guy is douche-y. It wasn't just the cell phone usage, it was what he was saying. It just turned me off.

So, Timjamin gets out on the street side of the cab and TAE and I get out on the curbside. I close the door. TAE drops his phone. We both look down just in time to see it hit the street and bounce into the gutter. The poor guy is just looking down and looks at me and says "I can't believe what just happened to my phone. It is like from right out of a movie."



I am beside myself in hysterics. But only on the inside. I was keeping it all on the inside. Then, Timjamin comes over and TAE has to explain what just happened to him. I bust out with the most evil grin that is doing nothing to contain the laughter fighting its way out. I hold back, though.

Later on in the evening, Timjamin comes over to me and another friend and says "Yeah, that guy is, like, totally crying."

"Oh my God! Over his phone?" I say.

"Yeah- yeah, I think so."

I couldn't help myself. I couldn't help myself. I just started laughing. Especially when I looked over at him in the club and saw him looking all sad sack. Thank goodness Timjamin and friend were there to console him for a few minutes before he snapped out of it and was a dancing machine again.

Was I being an insensitive ass? You tell me.

As insensitive as I am, I certainly paid for it over the next 2 days. I am off the juice for an indeterminate amount of time.

2 comments:

previous.roommate said...

nothing makes me happier than to realize that you've caught on to the phrase "douche-y."

Jdog said...

On a scale of one to ass, I'd give you a three. Finding humor in someone else's pain is a quality that I look for in friends.