I Left My Umbrella at Work

I remember when I was a kid playing in the rain, or getting caught in it walking home from the bus stop or a friends' house. I could see it off in the distance down the long, staight dirt roads in western Palm Beach County. A curtain-wall of water cutting across the landscape; a geometry of intersecting planes, lines, and rural sprawl. As it moved closer it draped everything in gray. Then the pelts would begin to wet the dusty road around me. The big drops would sting when they hit my skin, cold at first - I didn't mind the cleansing cool-down in the staunch heat - then, overtaken by the sun, just warm like the rest of the day.

Today, I walked home from the subway station in the rain. It reminded me of home. It wasn't rural sprawl surrounding me this time, just the urban kind. And although it was never warm, I didn't mind the coolness of it. I was soaked by the time I got to my apartment.

It was a rightful end to my day, really. I needed to wash off the workplace before my "weekend" starts. Let's hope it's a good one!

No comments: